Open for Applications
Catalyst:Ed is looking for an exceptional leader to guide our public-facing marketing and communications efforts. In this role, you will be responsible for creating an overarching framework that provides clarity, coherence, and inspiration to our thought leadership and story-telling, and executing a process of developing, curating, and sharing compelling content.
This position reports to Catalyst:Ed’s CEO.
Who We Are
Catalyst:Ed is an innovative and rapidly growing national nonprofit that is unlocking the collective expertise in the sector to help education leaders innovate, excel, and scale.
- Activate: We identify and activate expert technical assistance providers, building and nurturing diverse networks of expert talent that education leaders can tap into.
- Connect: We leverage networks, know-how, and technology to connect education leaders with the right expert support.
- Catalyze: We design, develop, and manage Expert Hubs in high-need, high-impact areas (see our DEI Expert Hub and Innovative Learning Expert Hub)
- Inform: We capture, synthesize, and disseminate critical information to deepen sector knowledge while fostering greater accountability and a focus on results.
Our team is purpose-driven, innovative, and inclusive, with a supportive culture where all team members have the opportunity to grow and contribute. Founded and led by a woman of color, Catalyst:Ed is committed to being a space where diversity is valued and all team members are able to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
What You’ll Accomplish in This Role:
Catalyst:Ed’s work holds the potential to generate rich, nuanced narratives about initiatives being implemented across the sector and the people behind them. Sharing these narratives broadly is key to our mission by deepening sector knowledge about what works and what doesn’t, and influencing how people and organizations make decisions about what efforts to take on and with whom to work. Being able to tell our stories clearly, consistently, and compellingly is also important to help us get in front of and persuade key stakeholders (education organizations, providers, funders etc.).
As our first Marketing and Communications hire, you will take our disparate efforts at sharing these narratives and help focus, elevate, and amplify them. You will also help us develop a distinctive and resonant voice that is true to who we are and what we seek to achieve. This is especially important as we embark on the next phase of our work, where we aim to leverage our unique position in the sector to bring about wider change.
Specifically, you will:
1) Create a robust marketing and communication plan for Catalyst:Ed’s work overall as well as for specific initiatives:
- Articulate a clear marketing and communications strategy and guiding principles to provide clarity, coherence, and inspiration to our thought leadership and story-telling.
- Help create and nurture a unique and memorable brand (incl. voice and visual presence) for Catalyst:Ed that runs through all of our communications.
- Develop a process to ensure that the content and tone of all our communications are aligned to our brand and underlying values.
- Develop a plan to ensure we are consistently connecting and communicating with key stakeholders, including members of our expert provider network, partner organizations, funders, and other interested entities.
- Set marketing and communication goals and track metrics.
2) Execute a process of developing and/or curating compelling content (including on social media) on a consistent basis, and sharing them with the right audiences:
- Develop, source, and/or curate content from the team and network members for newsletters, social media posts, etc., while exercising your editorial acumen to ensure coherence, quality, and alignment.
- Reach out to external stakeholders (clients, partners, providers, funders etc.) to source and place content.
- Identify and leverage formats (video, podcasts, etc.) that will help us tell stories that speak to our audiences in compelling ways.
- Support the development of persuasive and high-quality content and thought leadership products (such as reports, memos, etc.) by providing support across all aspects such as editing, writing, creating graphical content, etc.
3) Build organizational and network capacity for thought leadership and story-telling:
- Work closely with the team to ensure our communication goals are reflected across all our work.
- Set expectations and structure and provide guidance and support to the team and network members around thought leadership, content creation, and story-telling.
Who We’re Looking For:
We urge you to apply if this mostly describes you:
1) You have a strategic vision about the role of marketing and communications as a function, and the skills and drive to make it a reality:
- You have a vision for how story-telling can be leveraged to lift voices, inspire action, and deepen impact, an unerring eye for compelling stories, and the editorial acumen and writing skills needed to develop them.
- You have an understanding of the kind of content (and ideally the relationships) to drive earned media.
- You understand how to leverage social media to increase awareness, salience, and engagement with Catalyst:Ed.
- You understand data analytics relevant to your work (website data, social media data, etc.)
2) You are able to both do the work and get the work done:
- You are able to leverage the Catalyst:Ed team (which includes several strong writers) and contractors/interns on an as-needed basis to get the work done.
- At the same time, you have the skills and the willingness to roll up your sleeves and write, copy-edit, do basic graphic design, and update content on websites as needed.
3) You have an exceptional eye for design: You are able to guide the development of a visual brand identity that is unique and delightful and are able to translate the identity into different formats and products.
4) You bring an equity lens to your work: This may look like understanding the challenges faced by leaders of color and seeking ways to amplify the work of providers and partners without tokenizing them.
5) You are grounded in your values: In crafting stories and narratives, you are moved by a desire to show what is true. You are comfortable with discomfort, and resolve conflicts through open dialogue.
6) Experience: 9+ years of experience. Experience doing marketing/communications-related work within the education, philanthropy, or nonprofit sector preferred. (Note: We are open to discussing opportunities with exceptional candidates who may bring fewer years of experience.)
Good to Know
- Deadline: March 14th, 2021
- Learn more about the role by watching this video.
- Location: Catalyst:Ed works nationally, with an office in New Orleans. Partners can work from a location of their choosing. Occasional travel (once a month) may be required when travel restrictions and public health standards allow.
- Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried position with full health benefits (medical, dental, and vision) and a generous 403(b) plan with up to 5% match. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Salary range: $88,000-$120,000
- Start date: May 2021 (some flexibility for the right candidates)
How to apply
Please access the application here. We will review applications on a rolling basis shortly after they are received.
Catalyst:Ed has a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply, particularly folks who identify as people of color, first-generation, low income, or LGBTQ.