Catalyst:Ed is looking for an exceptional leader to lead our finance function. As Finance Director, you will be responsible for improving, maintaining, and executing strong financial processes and supporting the leadership and Board in ensuring the financial health and sustainability of the organization.
This position reports to Catalyst:Ed’s CEO.
Who We Are
Catalyst:Ed is an innovative and rapidly growing national nonprofit that is unlocking the collective expertise in the sector to help education leaders innovate, excel, and scale.
- Activate: We identify and activate expert technical assistance providers, building and nurturing diverse networks of expert talent that education leaders can tap into.
- Connect: We leverage networks, know-how and technology to connect education leaders with the right expert support.
- Catalyze: We design, develop, and manage Expert Hubs in high-need, high-impact areas (see our Learning Lab and the DEI Expert Hub)
- Inform: We capture, synthesize, and disseminate critical information to deepen sector knowledge, while fostering greater accountability and a focus on results.
Our team is purpose-driven, innovative and inclusive, with a non-hierarchical and supportive culture where all team members have the opportunity to grow and contribute. Founded and led by a woman of color, Catalyst:Ed is committed to being a space where diversity is valued and all team members are able to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
What You’ll Be Working On
- Lead the development of the organization’s long-term financial strategy, which includes strengthening the organization’s fiscal health, and finding creative ways to support providers and partners.
- Lead long-term financial forecasting and budgeting
- Align annual budgets and financial strategies with strategic goals
- Recognize and anticipate opportunities and challenges to financial systems,
especially as the organization grows
- Create and maintain strong internal controls and compliance with GAAP, federal, state, and local regulatory laws, and rules for nonprofit organizations.
- Improve, maintain, and execute strong financial processes, including:
- Tracking cash inflows and outflows
- Catalyst:Ed invoicing
- Consultant and vendor invoicing, payment and tracking
- Receivables and payables management
- Annual, quarterly, and monthly monitoring and reporting
- Developing expense guidelines, and processing and monitoring expenses
- Monthly financial data review to ensure accuracy of reporting
- Manage key outsourced finance partners, including bookkeepers, auditors, and consultants
- Develop and manage grant processes
- Lead the development of budgets
- Review grant agreements, contracts, and proposals to determine reporting requirements and classification
- Administer grant processes, including agreement execution/acknowledgment, reporting, and disbursements
- Develop financial reports for Board meetings
- Lead annual audit and tax preparation process in partnership with auditor and bookkeeper
- Review, negotiate, and monitor vendor contracts
- Manage payroll and benefits procedures and processes
Who We’re Looking For
We urge you to apply if this mostly describes you:
- 7+ years of relevant experience and demonstrated impact in a finance role in a related field (nonprofit, consulting, philanthropy, etc.)
- Knowledge of financial rules and regulations for US-based non-profits
- Ability to design robust financial processes and systems and manage them on an ongoing basis
- Track record of taking initiative and working entrepreneurially, meticulous attention to detail, and effective communication and organizational skills
- Comfort with technology
Good to Know
- Location: Catalyst:Ed works nationally, with an office in New Orleans. The Director, Finance can work from a location of their choosing.
- Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried position with full health benefits (medical, dental, and vision) and a generous 403(b) plan with up to 5% match. Salary range: $88,000-$120,000
- Start date: Summer/Fall 2021 (some flexibility for the right candidates)
How to apply
Please follow this link to complete an application. The application is rolling and your submission will be reviewed shortly after it is received.
Catalyst:Ed has a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply, particularly folks who identify as people of color, first generation, low income or LGBTQ.