Closed for Review
Catalyst:Ed is looking for an exceptional leader to join our team as Partner, Research and Impact. In this role, you will be responsible for setting and implementing our organization-wide research agenda, so that we are leveraging insights from our work to maximize our impact and influence the field. You will also support our team and wider network of experts in infusing a learning and improvement focus into their work.
This position reports to Catalyst:Ed’s CEO.
Who We Are
Catalyst:Ed is an innovative and rapidly growing national nonprofit that is unlocking the collective expertise in the sector to help education leaders innovate, excel, and scale.
- Activate: We identify and activate expert technical assistance providers, building and nurturing diverse networks of expert talent that education leaders can tap into.
- Connect: We leverage networks, know-how and technology to connect education leaders with the right expert support.
- Catalyze: We design, develop, and manage Expert Hubs in high-need, high-impact areas (see our DEI Expert Hub and Innovative Learning Expert Hub)
- Inform: We capture, synthesize, and disseminate critical information to deepen sector knowledge, while fostering greater accountability and a focus on results.
Our team is purpose-driven, innovative and inclusive, with a supportive culture where all team members have the opportunity to grow and contribute. Founded and led by a woman of color, Catalyst:Ed is committed to being a space where diversity is valued and all team members are able to bring their full, authentic selves to work.
What You’ll Accomplish in This Role:
Catalyst:Ed’s work holds the potential to yield rich insight into the capacity-building needs of organizations, the capacity of the provider ecosystem, promising approaches, and so much more. Additionally, Catalyst:Ed is currently designing and executing several initiatives funded by foundations like the Barr Foundation, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, and NewSchools Venture Fund in areas such as school reopening, continuous improvement, and equity. Most of these initiatives have an embedded learning agenda, so that the funder, Catalyst:Ed, and the field can learn from the experiences of organizations that are leveraging expert support to build capacity.
As Partner, Research and Impact, you’ll not just help us measure and improve our impact, but design and execute research projects that leverage our unique model to generate data and surface actionable insights on key questions facing the sector. You will also influence practice by sharing findings more broadly and developing resources such as case studies and frameworks.
Specifically, you will:
Create and execute a robust research and learning agenda for Catalyst:Ed’s work overall as well as for specific initiatives:
- Articulate a clear research and learning agenda as well as foundational questions.
- Develop a practical strategy to collect and analyze quantitative and qualitative data for developmental, formative and summative assessments.
- Design and execute all elements of plans, including such aspects as developing rubrics, designing and administering surveys, analyzing publicly available data, building and analyzing large datasets, developing interview guides and conducting interviews, facilitating focus groups, etc.
- Surface and synthesize key findings, lessons learned and implications into reports/decks for sharing with different audiences.
- Manage relationships with external partners and funders as appropriate.
Develop insightful knowledge resources emerging from our work to inform practice and influence the field:
- Develop resources such as reports, case studies, presentations, etc. that are accessible to a wide range of audiences and add to sector knowledge and capacity.
- Represent Catalyst:Ed at conferences and other gatherings to present analysis and findings.
Build organizational and network capacity for research and learning:
- Work closely with the team to ensure our learning goals are reflected across all our work.
- Set expectations and structure and provide guidance for research methods, analytics, analysis, and insight.
- Be a resource to network members who are interested in bringing a learning focus to their work.
Who We’re Looking For:
We urge you to apply if this mostly describes you:
- You have a strategic vision about the role of research, and the skills and drive to make it reality: You have experience using research strategically to clarify pathways, influence practice, and deepen impact. You have an unerring eye for interesting problems, you ask the right questions, and you have practical approaches to get to actionable insights.
- You have the technical expertise needed to independently design and execute a learning agenda: You show comfort with both quantitative and qualitative data gathering and analysis. You are able to identify gaps in the data and can generate creative solutions to find the information you need to get to an answer.
- You are a sense-maker: You are able to process and synthesize large amounts of data and information. You can zero in on key insights and lessons learned, and articulate implications for key stakeholders. You are excellent at creating frameworks and tools.
- You are an exceptional communicator: You are a strong writer and presenter. You can clearly lay out your process, your findings, and implications to different audiences in a way that generates understanding and motivates action.
- You bring an equity lens to your work: You understand the limitations of traditional evaluation processes, and work to ensure that through the questions we ask, the data we collect, the methods we use, and the conclusions we draw are in service of equity.
- You are invested in developing others: You are a guide and mentor to others who are interested in building their research capacity and invested in their growth and development.
- You are grounded in your values: You speak your truth. You are comfortable with discomfort, and resolve conflicts through open dialogue.
- Experience: 13+ years of experience; a mix of program evaluation experience and client-facing experience in a consulting role, ideally within the education, philanthropy, or nonprofit sector. (Note: We are open to discussing opportunities with exceptional candidates who may bring fewer years of experience.)
Good to Know
- Location: Catalyst:Ed works nationally, with an office in New Orleans. Partners can work from a location of their choosing. Occasional travel (once a month) may be required when travel restrictions and public health standards allow.
- Compensation: This is a full time, salaried position with full health benefits and retirement. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Salary range: $125,000-$140,000
- Start date: Dec 2020 (some flexibility for the right candidates)
Interested in learning more? Here’s a link to a short video where we share more about our organization, and our vision for this role.
How to apply
Please complete the form below. We will review applications on a rolling basis shortly after they are received.
Catalyst:Ed has a strong commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply, particularly folks who identify as people of color, first generation, low income or LGBTQ.